Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Apple Brownies from Surplus Apples


Fruit prices are outrageous in Korea - so outrageous that every time I walk by a seedy fruit truck where an ajushi with one leg is yelling at you to buy kiwis, I actually do it.  And that's how I ended up with a giant potato sack of apples.

I love apples, but I've been spoiled.  Growing up, I ate through every kind of apple there is.  In Korea, there is one apple - the Fuji apple.  No Granny Smiths, no Red Delicious, no Gala, no Honey Crisp, no Macintosh, no, no, no.

Staring at a colossal bag of racially uniform apples growing squishier each day made me wring my hands in worry, waving apples in my sister's face and accusing her of not eating her share...it was time to scour the internet for some way to bake these apples to freedom.


I like apple pies, but I don't like making them.  Old ladies make apple pies, and I was in search of something "cooler."  I settled on a recipe for apple brownies.  Since I had so many apples, I made them two ways - coconut apple brownies and dulce de leche apple brownies.

Apple Brownies
(adapted from allrecipes.com, makes 12 servings)

1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup white sugar
1 egg
3 medium apples - peeled, cored and thinly sliced
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Peel and core the apples.


Instead of thinly slicing them, I grated the apples.



Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease a pan.

In a large bowl, beat together the melted butter, sugar, and egg until fluffy.



Fold in the apples (and walnuts or dried coconut or whatever you want).


In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon.


Stir the flour mixture into the wet mixture until just blended.



Spread the batter evenly in the prepared baking dish.  Bake for 35 minutes or until it passes the chopstick toothpick test.


Drizzle with some caramel or dulce de leche.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...